Select Page

March Madness, that is!

Around here, though, the madness is continuing into April and there’s NO END IN SIGHT.  As I mentioned last time, the Graf’s and Miller’s arrived last Thursday, we went to Wade’s softball game and out to eat.  Neal and I went to Opening Day on Friday and that’s where we’ll start.

We needed to leave Carolyn, Shelly and Jeff with a car.  Since nobody could drive my company car, that left Wade’s car as the only option.  So, I took him to work at 7:30AM and came back home.  I cleaned, cooked and got everything prepped for those who were staying home.  I also googled a cab company so that Neal and I had a ride to the game.  Our cab was arranged for 11:30.  At 11:30 on the dot, the doorbell rang and there was a man in a nicely pressed suit standing on my front porch.  I was perplexed.  He was “cab” driver.  As Neal and I walked out the door, we saw a black Town Car waiting for us.  My stomach immediately dropped.  Who the heck did I call for a cab???  The secret service???  When I got to the car, I asked the guy how much this was going to cost and he said that it would be $27.  Now, that’s a little expensive, but I was pleasantly surprised since I was expecting him to say $75.  Neal and I got a kick out of our luxurious ride to the game.  We were dropped off right at home plate and we only waited for about 5 minutes for Wade to come meet us.  We talked with him until the gates opened and then he went his way and we went ours.

We made a bee-line to the Nolan Ryan hot dog stand.  Beers and dogs all around and then we were off to our seats in the upper home run porch.  I had buyers remorse the very second we walked away from the hot dog stand because, right next to it, was a bacon-wrapped hot dog stand!!!  UGGGHHHHH!  That’s what I really wanted, but oh well.  Now, usually the upper hr porch is all-you-eat seats, but we thought it wouldn’t be for Opening Day.  We were wrong…it was great.

As Neal watched batting practice, I was able to visit with several former colleagues from both, the Rangers and Ben E. Keith.  It was great to catch up with everyone.  Right before the pre-game ceremonies, I went back up to our seats and posed for a photo with Neal…

Neal and I are the shadows on the right side of the pole.
My hand is the long one near the right side of the frame.

The game was awesome.  I had a really cool dude sitting next to me and I talked to him the whole time.  We left during the 7th inning and were glad to be going home then.  I had such a great time and am really thankful I got to go…even after all my anxiety leading up to the game.  Neal was gentle with me since I’m not a super-fan and I think we made a pretty good team.

Once we got back to the house, Wade, Neal and I cleaned up a bit and we all went to Chophouse.  I drove the girls and Wade drove the guys.  As the ladies and I walked from the parking garage into the restaurant, I noticed a woman sitting outside of Chophouse with bright red boots on.  As we got closer, I saw that they had a World Series logo on them.  I went up to her and said, “I just love your boots!  Who did them?”

As the gentelman, next to her (her husband), lifted the leg of his jeans to show his black World Series boots, I saw a giant ring with a Rangers logo on it.  He said, “Luchese.”  I had figured as much.  These were some VERY nice boots.  I also figured that they were associated with the Rangers in order to already have their ALCS rings.  Never one to be shy, I asked, “How are ya’ll associated with the Rangers?”

After a long, awkward pause, “they explained that they were part of the ownership group.”  They introduced themselves and Toby and Joanie Dardin and things really got good from there.

Wade said, “Well, you’re not going to believe this, but I’m actually your account executive!”

We all got a good laugh and they even ended up letting Wade’s dad wear the ALCS ring.  They told us that it was worth $20,000!!!  It was amazing.

Once that little meeting was over, we all headed into Chophouse.  Rabi (Robby) greeted us and took us to a table near the back.  We had calamari, bread and delicious entrees.  After dinner, Rabi took all of us out to the back patio (through the kitchen) to have free dessert.  He brought us chocolate cake, strawberry shortcake and cheesecake.  It was unbelievable.

Unfortunately, by this time, I had a massive headache and my stomach was really hurting.  We left Chophuse and headed to 4 Day Weekend for their 10PM show.  We sat on the front row of the theater and I just couldn’t make it.  I snuck out and practically ran to my car in the parking garage, 2 blocks away.  I puked in the elevator and by my car.  I also puked when I got home and went right to bed.  MISERABLE!!!  I’ve had 2 really bad headaches 2 weeks in a row.  I think it’s stress mostly and allergies, as well.

Either way, it was a great night, but I’m really sad that I missed 4 Day Weekend.

On Saturday, we grilled out and my Mom came over for a short visit.  I had a laser appointment for my legs and she went with me for moral support.  As usual, we had some good laughs and once it was over, we headed back home.  Some of Jeff and Shelly’s friends drove up from San Antonio to go to the Rangers game.  They got to the house around 4 and we left for the game at 4:30 to tailgate with Wade’s work friends.

The weather was absolutely perfect!  Neal and Jeff were in top form and the Rangers won AGAIN!  We all had a great time.  Once we got home, we watched basketball and talked.  I woke up early on Sunday morning and made breakfast burritos for everyone.  Jeff and Shelly’s friends left and we all packed up to head to my Mom’s for lunch and a swim.  She had Subway sandwiches that hit the spot and the pool was heated.  I took a long nap (kind of in the sun) and we all just relaxed.  Again, it was perfect weather and THE RANGERS WON!  We got home around 4 and went to El Fenix for dinner.  We had a great time with the waiter and the food was delicious.

On Monday morning, Wade and I had to work, but I was done by 11:00.  I came home and napped.  Everyone watched TV and we waited to see Wade’s ALCS ring.  Unfortunately, there was some miscommunication and Wade didn’t come home at all.  I ended up dropping Neal and Jeff off at the Ballpark so they could meet Wade at the game and Shelly, Carolyn and I went to get pedicures and have dinner at TGI Friday’s.

Once the guys got home from the game, we all gawked over Wade’s ring.  It is pretty awesome.  The picture doesn’t do it justice…

The ring is HUGE!!!  He also got a very nice case for it!

That guy works harder than anyone I know and I feel so proud of him and absolutely blessed to be a part of his life.  He deserves A LOT more than ring!!!

We watched the worst college basketball championship ever played and went to bed around 10:30.  I had to take my car in today and Wade is taking a half day.  Our plans are to tour Cowboys Stadium and grill out tonight.

Our guest leave on Thursday…I can’t believe how fast this has gone.  I have a Dr. appt on Friday and we have a surprise party for a friend that evening.  On Saturday, we have a suite at the races and on Sunday, I pack for my week in Goshen, Indiana.  Oh, it just never ends, does it?

That’s all I got for now folks.


%d bloggers like this: