Select Page

This past weekend was the kind of weekend that I never want to forget.  It was amazing!  My best friend’s (S) birthday is on the 15th and to celebrate, one of my other best friends (C) decided to buy her a ticket to come visit us, here in D/FW.  She got in on Friday night, which worked out well because our other best friend (K) was throwing a birthday party for her daughters on Saturday.

K recently moved to Fort Hood/Killeen because her husband is in the military.  This has been awesome for all of us because she spent the past 3 years in Korea.  Needless to say, that is not a day.  So, the timing could not have been better for all of our celebrations.

On Friday, I met C & S in Dallas at C’s house.  We gorged ourselves on brie and queso and waited for a group of about 6 other people to arrive before we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant close by.  The food was good, but the company was better.  The only thing missing was Wade.  He was at the Rangers company Christmas party.  I was pretty disappointed that he couldn’t be there because we NEVER get to spend time with friends.  His friends in Texas don’t know we’re dating and most of my friends don’t live in Texas.  I understand that he needed to go to the party, though, so we went our separate ways.

Now, back to dinner.  We had such a great time.  We talked and laughed at the table for hours; re-living old stories, telling new ones and just catching up.  I’ve known S since 3rd grade, but at the time, we were arch enemies – mostly because of our friend Daniel.  We both were in 3rd-grade-love with him and we had bitter answering machine wars.  We didn’t actually become best friends until 6th grade (Daniel moved to another school).  The funny thing is, all of our paths crossed again and Daniel is now a very dear friend of both of ours.  He paid for our dinner, which I thought was the kindest thing.  He’s such a great guy and I am beyond thankful to have had friends like that for so long.

After dinner, we went to bar and hung out for bit.  I got home around 11:30.  I didn’t want to stay out too late because I was looking forward to K’s daughters’ birthday party.  She has a step-daughter who turned 11 and her child, who was turning 1!  Definitely not okay to smell like booze for those birthdays.  In any case, Wade arrived at home shortly after I did and non-chalantly told me that “we’re dating.”

I was confused and asked him what he meant.  Well, after about 2 years, he finally told the people that he works with (the people that I used to work with).  So, it’s official…I have a real, live boyfriend!

On Saturday, my Mom came over and she, Wade and I all headed off to the birthday party at K’s mom’s house.  It was a blast.  It was wonderful to see old friends and their children and just to watch the kids play.  We got a big kick out of watching the older kid open gifts and before we knew it, it was 4PM.

I headed home to prepare for guests; K, C and S were coming over before we went to our dinner at Lonesome Dove.  Everyone arrived around 5PM.  I had champagne, more brie and other treats waiting when everyone got there, so we talked, drank, dance (yes, it’s true) and ate more.  Thankfully, C is pregnant and we had a designated driver.

We left a bit late for our dinner reservations and arrived about 10 minutes after 8PM.  The four of us were seated in a back corner of an ancillary room.  It was a little dark and more quiet than the main dining room, which was nice.  Our waiter greeted us promptly and said, “I understand you lovely ladies are celebrating a birthday today.”

We all pointed to Steph and he told her Happy Birthday!  He also told us to take a look at our menus and that he would be right back.  At that point, I looked at C, who had made the reservations, and said, “good job on the birthday thing…I wouldn’t even have thought to tell them.”

She had a really weird look on her face and said, “I don’t think that I did.”

Two seconds later, our waiter was back with a bottle of champagne and he said, “ladies, you all are to enjoy the evening with two bottles of champagne, compliments of Tressel’s Troops?”

S and I immediately looked at each other.  “Tressel’s Troops” is Wade’s fantasy football team name and we are in a league with S, so she knew exactly who had sent the champagne.  I started to cry a bit because it was the sweetest thing in the world and the other three girls were in shock.  What a great way to start off an amazing dinner that included; seared diver scallops, kangaroo tenderloin nachos, lobster hushpuppies, a huge pork chop and garlic crusted tenderloin.

We sat there for three hours.  The food was amazing and we laughed all the way through dinner.  After dinner, we came back to my house and talked some more.  Everyone except for S left by midnight.  S and I stayed up talking until 2 and finally fell asleep.  Archie slept in the guest bed with her and they cuddled all night.  He’s good for keeping you warm and he knows when someone just needs a “puggle cuddle.”

I woke up at 8 and made eggs with fresh pico de gallo, bacon and toast.  It was all ready to go by 8:30 and nobody else was awake.  I did what any person would do and blasted Christmas music through the intercom in the house to “gently wake” them.

It worked.

Everyone was downstairs and eating by 8:45 and the food was good.  S, Wade and I sat around napping and talking until noon, when I had to take S home.  I dropped her off and headed home to get ready for the Cowboys game versus the Eagles.  Wade got us a couple of tickets in a suite and they were amazing.  It was so relaxing to be there and the food was delicious too!  We got home at 10:30 and quickly fell asleep.  That brings me to this morning…

I’ve got a busy day ahead and need to get it started!


%d bloggers like this: